Monday, July 30, 2007

Merrily we roll along

Listening to: Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Man - is July really almost over? I can't figure out if it was quick or slow, but it was productive, and I'm feeling almost GOOD about school starting up again soon. Almost. I've never felt any kind of dread for school before (it had never really been hard before), and I'm trying to go in with a good attitude. I really hope the new students are cool, and that there's at least one who's younger than me. I don't like being the baby of the department.

Mom's coming on thursday, so the apartment needs to be cleaned in a pretty major way, but mom's a welcome break from dad (who dropped in this weekend). I love dad like crazy, and I appreciate that he wants to see me so often, but it feels like I need to entertain him all the time. Plus, he's always a little fuzzy on details. (night before: expect a call around 11; 11am next day: I'm not coming; 1pm: expect me in 30 minutes). Mom's good enough to schedule things well in advance.

Thank dog, she's taking me to Ikea, since my couch is sagging horribly, and the torch lamp in my bedroom decided to fall over this morning. Nothing like waking up to shattering glass noises, with skittish kitties running around (possibly through said glass). Thankfully, no cats were injured, and the lamp still appears to work, but it doesn't look very nice. Like most lamps, its torch-lid contained a variety of dehydrated insects (including a couple ladybugs, which I find revolting).

Why I find ladybugs gross:

From 1995 to 1999, I went to a sleep-away summer camp in Maine. We lived in wood cabins, and there was a seperate room filled with wooden cubbies, one for each camper. My last year of camp, I must've made a poor cubby choice - it turned out to be a ladybug nest. I noticed the occasional ladybug here and there when I shook out a shirt or towel or something. One day, I took out my not-often-used cleats and looked inside... hundreds of dead ladybugs.

Ugggggh.

1 comment:

Lasann said...

It's funny to me that I don't ever expect people to clean for my arrival but I always clean for them.

You've been reading/posting on political threads over there, haven't you. I read but don't post due to the fact that I might get banned.

I liked the beginning of the story.