Sunday, February 17, 2008

False meat

Listening to: The Commodores - Lady (You Bring Me Up)

Yow - this Big Brother is more terrible than I could have imagined.

Annnyway. Another long, listless Sunday. My accomplishment for the day was buying groceries at the Wholefoods, a whopping 3 block walk away. This is a good thing, since I can walk there - the angry-shoppers in large, large vehicles are all gunning for the very limited number of parking spaces, and since I don't buy too much at once, I don't have to deal with it. You can wait a good 10 minutes to park there (or just suck it up and park in the garage - I don't know why people have such an issue with it - it's a fine garage).

Everyone shoves you out of the way at the meat counter there. Said people's specific lamb-leg requires several adjustments which makes the line grow and grow. I wait quietly and patiently, and probably doormat-like. The meat is worth it - although in theory, I could just buy it at the Safeway. But they don't sell it in quantities I like, that is to say, very small. I'm cooking for one, after all.

There was a fellow behind me in the checkout line who scowled at my ground buffalo and chicken packages. This is not an uncommon occurance at Wholefoods. I am supposed to be buying false meat, just as the fellow behind me was buying seitan and Quorn (incidentally, Quorn, which is fungus-based, is not bad. Seitan, on the other hand, I find repulsive).

Think of all those mushrooms that were murdered for his Quorn.

No comments: