Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Feel the burn

Listening to: Michael Jackson - Remember the Time

Nothing like some upbeat MJ to get your blood pumping as you fiddle around with the stupid elliptical to make sure your heart rate doesn't go above 163. The good news is, I think I've finally got my heart rate under control as far as exercising is concerned, so that's one less thing to worry about. There is still the matter of my gut. I do not know how to make it leave, but I'll be damned if I have to elliptical every single day. My body recoils at fitness, I have discovered.

At least when all this rain/shitty weather is over, I can go walking to Rittenhouse Square and back without wondering if my knee is finally going to pop out of its socket. Damn you, elliptical.

I think my problem might be compulsive eating. At night, specifically. I cannot train my body to not be hungry, and last night I caved in horribly. I made a hamburger at midnight. It was ungarnished and George-Foremanized, so it shouldn't be AWFUL for me, but I know it's definitely not good for me by any means.

::sigh::

So, Steve gave me wonderful news about a couple upcoming bonus checks (congratulations, honey!) and thus launched the first ACTUAL REALISTIC discussion about potential vacations. He is not paying for me (and should not pay for me), so I need to dig into my coffers a bit to make this work - and damn if I can't shake Hawaii from my mind. It's the happiest place on earth! Pineapple! Snorkeling! Mahi Mahi! Volcanoes! Hiking! SEXY! And, oh, EXPENSIVE!

That said, I shall need to devise some kind of more affordable substitute. Anyone have anything nice to tell me about the Bahamas or Virgin Islands? Ideally, I want a place suitable for activities which aren't lying on the beach, because that's simply not my schtick. Or Steve's. We're not sunlovers. We're just... into enjoyment of the outdoors, but without the death-hikes.

6 comments:

Nailbone said...

Just FYI, belly fat (that gut you speak of) is pretty much all eating-related. Exercise won't help that as much. Lay off the carbs, especially white bread and potatoes.

MM said...

Mmm, I could SO do a hamburger right now. I too am working on my health and trying to improve it. I have no problem not eating, it's the exercise that I hate. Good luck. Maybe try sleeping more...it could give you 10 straight hours of not eating anything, lol.

As for the vacation, I don't know. I've never been to Hawaii myself. The Bahamas are gorgeous though. What about a cruise? You won't get bored and you can set your own pace (no laying on the beach all day). There are some decent priced cruises that will take you all over certain parts of the caribbean...check into it.

Buggy said...

I never go anywhere, so I have no travel advice, but we want pictures of whereever you go.

Night eating can be a problem for some people, but I know you are getting healthy in other ways and the excercise is so good for the mental stuff. Try healthier snacks in the evening.

Tummy said...

If you've been to HI you will probably be disappointed in the Bahamas. If HI a 10 then the Bahamas are a 6, at least in my book.

I want a Mexican cruise and see the pyramids for our next trip.

Congrats to Steve and his bonus. You guys have fun!

kim (weltek) said...

Yuck, I hate ellipticals. It's such an unnatural movement.

Ah, vacation. Save places like Hawaii for really big occassions. For some reason, we all seem to think that big vacations are just the norm now. For generations, people saved up to take "the big vacation." Not sure why we let that get away from us and land in vacation debt.

The Bahamas would be a good cheap vacation, yet feel like a luxury one. I've heard very mixed reviews about it. Some love it, some said it was too crime filled. I guess vacations are what you make of the place. Just plan ahead well to stay out of the yucky areas.

What about somewhere like Austin, Texas? Lots of stuff around Texas to see and do and it's warm and affordable. Or New Orleans? Yes, New Orleans!

Paul said...

Can't beat Hawaii, that's for sure. But if you're on a budget, how about the Florida Keys? We went there for our honeymoon. Flights to Miami or (especially) Ft. Lauderdale are quite reasonable, and the hotels down in the Keys offer good package deals.

Lots of good outdoorsy stuff to do: snorkeling (I would be SO gellus), parasailing, sunset cruises, swimming with dolphins, etc. Oh, and I reckon there's a bar or five in Key Weird.

Puerto Rico might also be an option, and you don't need a passport.

Finally, there's always my biased choice: Lake Tahoe.