Friday, May 09, 2008

I <3 TV

Listening to: The Pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance

I'm just burnin' doin' the Neutron Dance.
Woo Hoo!

Damn I love that song.

Today's post is dedicated to one of my best friends: Television.

Last night, my friend the idiot box gave me three solid, back-to-back hours of very good entertainment.

First, Survivor, which featured YET ANOTHER round of utter stupidity (gawds, I love this season - it's not "fans versus favorites," it's "people who have watched the show and learned absolutely nothing" against "people who have sort of tweaked their old game, but are otherwise the things you still love and hate about their original character." I really, REALLY wish I could be on this show. I need to save the name of fans- seriously. I want to be the Rob Cesternino, subtracting "from Long Island" and adding "from 6 miles north of Long Island." Alas, on the meds, it is impossible to have that dream.

Then, CSI. I do not usually watch this show, but then I saw the preview. Stephen Toblowski and Katey Sagal as guest stars. WOW. My all-time favorite character actor, and the voice of one of my favorite cartoon characters (Turanga Leela, of Futurama) together at last, in one awesome, hilarious, violent episode. And using a rubber chicken as a flail? C'est magnifique.

Finally, Lost, giving me what I love the most: a Locke episode that actually reveals some important stuff about who he is. I feel for Locke - a lot. He has such a sad, awful backstory, and such a profound sense of naivite and strength. He's probably one of the most complex television characters of all time, and for that, I am thoroughly impressed by the writers of this show. And the Horace time-loop thing was mindblowing. Whoa.

I respect Lost so much, as both a viewer and a writer - it is like reading an incredible novel, with very deft placement of time switches, changes in narrator, creation of the tiniest of details, while only revealing a little at a time. I'd call it a divine mystery.

And this is where I reach my complaint. Not about Lost, but about my peers in the writing department. A lot of them snub tv in general as a waste, a corporate product. I will not debate the product part, but my goodness, this is an important composition, folks. Thankfully, a couple of my fellow fiction writers watch along with me, so I at least have people I can exchange show-gossip with.

4 comments:

Paul said...

What is this "television" of which you speak? Now, we can't even get the local CBS affiliate, which will suck by the time TAR 13 rolls around.

At least we can still get PBS. The "Carrier" series was most entertaining, and we like Antiques Roadshow.

Buggy said...

It was a great episode, I agree that Lost is like a great novel, one they force you to put down for a week.

kim (weltek) said...

I always get a little irked at the people that post drivel about LOST being sloppy, etc. I think it's such a spectacular piece of art, as a whole (writing, acting, directing), that it opens itself up to harsh criticism. Too bad.

I'm hoping The Mole doesn't suck...the rebirth of it makes me nervous. I loved it so much before.

Congrats on being done with classes and getting those good comments on your manuscript. And glad the other comments were constructive.

Tummy said...

I'm going to be so sad when Lost is done this season. Mainly it's because it's going to be a loooong stretch until it starts up again. *sigh