Thursday, May 22, 2008

Why I don't care about Idol

Listening to: Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle

This is not going to be a very long post.

I don't like American Idol. The music it produces is invariably not my thing, and with the notable exception of Taylor Hicks, I have never found anyone on that I even slightly enjoy, style-wise. Blue-eyed soul for the win!

I think my primary problem with the show is this: You basically go in as a stereotype. You know and are always cogent of the fact that you are MARKETING yourself as a specific kind of product. You can be talented as all hell (and I won't deny that there is talent present), but in the end, it is people declaring that you are "the rocker." You can't just be some guy with a shitty haircut who can sing like rock music - you have to market yourself as the "rocker product."

I'm just saying, vary it up. Don't let a pigeon hole be what makes you win.

...

But then, my favorite bands are led by people who are either artists strung out on redonkulous amounts of cocaine (David Byrne of Talking Heads), prematurely gray with a very, very distinct baritone voice (Michael McDonald of The Doobie Brothers), prematurely bald with a very, very distinct throaty voice (Phil Collins of Genesis), or ugly as sin (Donald Fagen/Walter Becker of Steely Dan; Geddy Lee of Rush).

Granted, they've all had their successes, but it wasn't for being presented as "rockers." They were just guys who played rock-music.

Oh... and I guess I'm just not that impressed by a singer who can... ::gasp:: play an instrument!

I mean, holy hell, Phil Collins sings and plays a massive 14-something-tom drumkit while doing so!

4 comments:

Paul said...

*plops down next to Julia on the couldn't-care-less-about-Idol bench

What you said.

I've had some singing talent in my day, but I wouldn't want to be one of these people; I want to sing what *I* want to sing, not what Simon Cowell thinks I should sing.

Could you see Idol ever having a Yes, Rush, or Steely Dan night?

Me neither.

Julia said...

Believe you me, if there was a Steely Dan night, I would not watch.

And chances are, neither would Don and Walt.

I mean, it's bad enough hearing them sugar-up or stink-up a "regular" song. The thought of them taking such amazing and wry lyrics and turning them into something the whole country would enjoy?

It's like a zeppelin bursting into flames: Oh, the humanity.

Tummy said...

I get what you said, but that's not what's important. What's important is that you've been tagged. :)

and btw, I still love my Jason even if he's the "dreadlock guy".

Nailbone said...

Yeah, well I think you're fulla crap.

AND that wasn't a very short post.

;-)

*smooch*