Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The reason I get not-sad.

Listening to - ELO - Evil Woman

Two big things:

1. I have been granted financial autonomy. I now get to control my nest-egg (the money my parents have saved up for college and subsequent years; I have been living on it for a while), pay my car insurance (yes, it's expensive, but it makes my car officially "mine" now), and basically be a grown up. This is something most people my age have already been doing, but for me, it's an enormous accomplishment/big deal. What it means is that my parents think that I'm mentally stable enough, as well as mature enough, to be responsible for looking after myself. I know that I have been well-taken care of, financially, for a very long time, and given that I actually have a nest-egg at my age, I am still in this situation; I'm just really happy that I have the opportunity to be a big girl now and remove my training wheels.

2. I am going to effing Maui in August.

MAUI.

I love love love Hawaii. I have deep personal attachments to our island-state; I think I've been there, consciously or not, 5 times, which is a lot for a 23-year-old. Hawaii is my DisneyWorld. It is the happiest damn place on earth, and when I am a big girl with a real job, it will be the place I go when I save up enough money to travel.

(My parents have also been kind/unkind enough to let me know I was conceived in Maui. Eeeeeeew.)

Only downside? Must find a relatively modest tankini, or something to cover most of my torso, as I have a number of tattoos my parents STILL don't know about (they've seen several, but there are several which they have not seen). Still, I'll bring my bikini for the days when mom, dad, and Charlotte are off playing golf, so that I can get a proper tan. WOO!

The week has been up and down, but it's certainly leaning up right now.

And Steve's coming for the weekend, which is the absolute icing on the cake.

5 comments:

Paul said...

*grumble grumble rassem frassem farga larga gets to go to Maui*

No, I'm not gellus. At all.

And the fact that I've been there only makes me more gellus.

*grumble grumble*

;-)

Tummy said...

Love the island state! If there's anyone I'm jealous of it's my kid. She's lived there the past 3 years. Oh to be in my 20's again and unattached and living in HI!

And yes I'm jealous of you too, Slicey! And just so you know, I'm laughing at you covering your tats *snort

Good for you getting to control of your finances! That's a huge step.

Anonymous said...

Yay for you!

I have been collecting change for Conner for the past four years. I know this sounds silly, but it really is about all I can do for him at the moment. Michael empties his pockets each night on the counter. It drives me batty. There are many days when it's over a dollar in change. I use this, plus my change, plus gifts he receives in the form of money and I put it in various piggy banks. I think I have four banks, plus a big pretzel jar.

So eventually I will take this to the bank and open an account. And I will start putting in more than just change, like maybe $50 a month. And then I will give it to him one day. I know it won't be a huge amount, but I think it will be nice to receive about $20k one day when you are 25 and not expecting it.

Yay also to your parents for doing this for you.

Enjoy Maui!! I've never been.

kim (weltek) said...

I saw in the summer vacation thread you were going to Maui and was uber jealous! Hawaii is definitely on my list of places to go in the next 10 years. That list also includes New England during crab season, Thailand, Germany, Costa Rica, Ireland, St. Lucia and Australia (Thailand and Australia are in reach early due to work opportunities). New Zealand and Alaska are in my 20year plan.

Congrats on the finances. I know this is a really big deal to you and hope it's not too overwhelming. Remember you can still reach out to your parents if you feel you are going too far in a bad financial direction. They seem to be super-supportive.

Puffy said...

Swim suits are so much more modest now that a few years ago. You'll find a great suit, I'm sure. What a great feelings regarding controlling your own finances. I'm sure you'll make your parents proud.