Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Onward, onward

Listening to: No Doubt - Sunday Morning

Another week without income. I swear I shall remedy this problem. My friend Dunc works at a restaurant about a block away from my apartment, and he told me that they have an opening. Needless to say, I shall be pursuing said opening. A job is a job is a job. Even if I have no frakkin' clue how to waitress or anything of that nature. Still, the uniform policy is "wear your clothes," which is something I can get behind, and the folks who eat at the place are about as uptight as I am (well, ok, bad example, but they're not fancypants). could be a good lead. Must fill out application.

Got my insurance quotes done. Having a car in the city is EXPENSIVE.

$3,035.

OUCH. Even the lady from Amica told me she felt sorry for me. But Amica's a great company, and my folks have been with them forever, so I'm gonna stick with 'em, high quote or not. Just means I'll be blasting through my nest-egg a little faster than I'd like. Of course. MUST GET JOB. I've been told that substituting and coaching is a good way to earn some cash, so next year, I think that's what I'll be doing. My education class thus far has not been much of a challenge, so I think I can definitely manage a day-job and take classes at night, once I'm done with my masters. That degree has been tough to get, but I really feel like it's an accomplishment; thusly, it is worthy of my sweat, labor, anger, et al.

My Kaplan interview is this weekend. Aside from issues like determining which is my best business-casual outfit (my weight is lower than before, so dog willing, I shall be able to fit into my old capris), I think I'll be fine. We have to give a 5-minute sample lesson on anything other than academics, so I plan on teaching a basic primer in keeping score for a baseball game. If you're a woman, it makes you appear even sexier. 'Least that's what they tell me.

2 comments:

Nailbone said...

Few things are sexier than a chick that can intelligently talk sports.

Especially nekkid. }>

kim (weltek) said...

I agree-good choice of topic.

The restaurant gig wouldn't be so bad. Usually a new group of friends can form. If I was jobless and young, I'd probably look at a job where I wouldn't spend my entire paycheck (so no retail!). Any PR agencies in need of some cheap writing help? Didn't you do some work with Pepsi for awhile? Anothe PR agency might appreciate some temp help.

You could do some freelance editing. Around universities, that's HUGE in demand. Professors love to hire competent writers to help polish journal submissions and such.