Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Nukes?

Listening to: Ambrosia - You're the Only Woman

One of my peak political issues revolves around energy.

I know this is something a lot of people think about.

I am a HUGE supporter of nuclear power. HUGE. Like, it is one of the biggest things I support.

I don't think much of either of our candidates this year, but Mr. McCrap... I mean, McCain, has thrown some big support behind nuclear plants, and I have to applaud that. I'd never vote for someone based on one issue alone, but it has me thinking.

Why has this country dug its heels in so deep about nuclear power plants? Technology has come quite some way since the 1970's (when the US stopped building them - thanks a lot, stupid 3-Mile Island), and Europe flourishes with nuclear power. I mean, France is effing gorgeous - no pollution to speak of, and a lot has to do with those power plants - as well as a very big pedestrian population, something this country sorely lacks.

There's always a fear of meltdowns, but bad things happen no matter where you look. Chernobyl happened because of a really stupid human decision, as they were testing the strength of the cooling towers, and that backfired something awful. I won't deny that there is an inherent danger in using radioactive elements in anything, but I think this is something the States needs to consider.

I personally think that the problem comes with the word "nuclear". There's an automatic reflex to attach the word "bomb".

So how do you guys feel about nuclear power?

3 comments:

Paul said...

I'm for it, but when I get to NV, I'll be in the middle of the Yucca Mountain debate (that's where the gov't wants to put spent fuel rods). I might be one of the few in the state who says, "Sure, what the hey."

I understand there are plans to build 30 or so plants, but none have started yet; I bet they're in litigation.

Tummy said...

I'm on the fence and could go either way. I like the idea of clean energy, but unlike with most plants if a big human error does occur it has the potential to hurt alot more people than the people at the plant.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't be mad if I got my energy from nuclear, but I don't particularly want a plant down the road from me either. I think most people feel that way.

kim (weltek) said...

I'm supportive of it, but I do still harbor some fears about a 3 Mile disaster happening again. Let's face it, our security and safety measures aren't exactly foolproof in this country, so it makes me a little uneasy. Not uneasy enough to pull my support, though.