Sunday, August 03, 2008

We-ell...

Listening to: Jelleestone - Money

I'm not going to go into terribly graphic detail about the trip.

Grandma fluctuated between crotchety, complain-y, amusing, and baffling.

Lewis looked better than I thought he would, and was responsive when I chatted with him. This included grabbing on to my hand like a bear trap and smiling when I made fun of my mom, as well as when I played him some Doobie Brothers from my phone - bikers love that stuff.

My mom's friend, who is a known alcoholic and is also known for cooking dinners very late, managed to dial down her drinking, and made us a very southern dinner which was ready by 8. And her husband has recovered completely from his prostate cancer. They're both a hoot, and it was nice to see them again. Their son, who is my mother's godson, and his wife had twins in April, and they are adorable.

Mom and I made the most of the trip, as best we could, driving back and forth across Chattanooga (and taking a very peculiar detour on the way back to Nashville - mom wanted to show me parts of central Tennessee and got us a little lost in the process). We visited the aquarium, which is awesome, and took some nice walks downtown. I do like going down there, if only because I like seeing where my mom grew up.

At any rate, I'm home (have been since Thursday), and have been working my butt off to fill out my Kaplan book so I can do my interview the right way on Thursday. I am TERRIFIED. Absolutely shattered-terrified, like I have this sense that I am going to burst into tears the second I begin. The teaching part I think I have under control, but the whole Intro to Kaplan-parent-style-interview thing is going to be my undoing. I've never worked with customers before, and I have never "pitched" a product.

3 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

Glad the trip was more pleasant than you thought it might be.

I'm very intrigued about the Kaplan thing. So you have to teach and more-or-less sell the program, too?

Julia said...

It's not so much selling - I think I phrased that completely wrong.

I'm really just conducting a mock phone call with the parent to schedule the lessons and practice tests, and then a mock talking-with-parents to explain how the Kaplan system works, and how the Higher Score Guarantee works (and if their kid does or does not qualify.)

::sigh:: I'm trying not to panic.

kim (weltek) said...

Ahhhh, I get it. I'm like, "wow, those are two very different jobs" when I first thought you were "selling" the program.