Sunday, June 08, 2008

Live from New York...

Listening to: Was (Not Was) - Are You Okay?

At home with the folks until this evening - then I'm takin' one of those super-budget buses to Philly. $6.50! Yow! If only I didn't get bus-sick... ::le sigh:: It's gonna be tricky to sit still and do nothing for a couple hours, particularly while driving through New Jersey at night, but anything that saves me money is a good thing. Particularly when I saw that even in Jersey, gas is over $4 now. In JERSEY.

As usual, in spite of recent spats with the folks, I'm having a lovely visit.

Except it's about 92 outside with ridonkulous humidity. YAY STUPID EAST COAST!

Allegedly, it shall be 99 in Philly tomorrow. I am weeping in advance :(

Plus side, though: time at home means good (free) eats. Mom and dad served those sweet-balsamic marinated strawberries with vanilla ice cream, and it was painfully delicious.

I like Rye. It's fun to look at all the silly enormous houses. I can't fathom the property taxes these folks pay... In the neighborhood where I grew up (I lived in the same house my whole life- my folks still live there), half the houses are worth over 2-3 million. It's completely insane. My parents' awesome house looks downright humble in comparison. And then you notice - wow! a yard! (Those aren't in fashion here). I don't know why. Yards are awesome.

5 comments:

Tummy said...

I love that you're posting alot Slicey! Because I love reading your posts. They have a lot of flavor :) and now I'm craving the balsamic strawberries and icecream. I haven't had that in forever.

I love my yard even if the mowing is killing me. Actually I'm probably healthier because of the yard. I work up a good sweat at least once a week.

6.50 bus trip. Wow.

Kimmah said...

I've never heard of a balsamic strawberry.

It was hotter than hell here today, but no humidity, so it wasn't too bad by the pool.

Julia said...

Balsamic strawberries are simply strawbs which have been briefly marinated in a mixture of 6-year aged Balsamic vinegar and also some confectioner's sugar - you blend the two, put it on the berries, and about 5 minutes later, you have deliciously sweet strawberries.

I don't know where mom learned this, but I am grateful that she did.

Silvergirl said...

Yep, it's hot here, too.

Balsamic strawberries - I've heard of them, but didn't know you had to add the sugar. I tried it with just the vinegar and berries, and it was awful.

Silvergirl said...

I've written my tag list.