Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Trains in vain

Listening to: X-Press 2 feat. David Byrne - Lazy

Hooo-ee! so effing hot outside. It's 91 degrees at noon, which means it is actually going to be hotter. Desktop Weather sez: high of 97. Yuck. Why on earth is it so July-esque outside?

Had a very bizarre series of dreams last night, involving what looked to be Butch from Survivor Amazon in a Speedo (I have no idea), a meandering subway station which was allegedly the one I use almost daily (I think I may have actually been to this place in previous dreams), and a "Philadelphia" which resembled an amalgam of Paris and Stockholm. Very, very strange crap. I was perfectly sober last night, so I have no explanation.

My brain hurts.

Happy news on the job front! Kaplan Testing Centers - the people who write those helpful "So You're Taking a Standardized Test" guides - seem to have moved me on to the next stage of their hiring process after I apparently gave a good sample lesson on Saturday (topic: how to tell an interesting personal anecdote). They're lining me up to be a private tutor, which is exactly what I wanted. I am very excited. Another job in a relevant field - thus making education the ONLY field in which I have ever worked - although I shouldn't jinx it because I don't actually have the job yet.

Started writing again. I'm hoping this one will turn out well. The centralized plot lies on what one character suspects to be a love triangle, while a member of the triangle doesn't actually love anyone else in the triangle. It's based on real life, but I am gussying it up a bit by placing it in south Florida and giving it a clever name:

"Approximation of a Chambered Nautilus"

Don't ask. I'm pretty clever about story names sometimes, and sometimes they end up being tremendously silly. One of my best titles to date?

"Bringing Better Diner Efficiency for Tomorrow"

And yet I still hold out hope - some day, I will be published.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Good deal on the job front! Keep us posted.

Tummy said...

Those are weird dreams Slice!

Good luck on the job, sounds interesting.

kim (weltek) said...

Congrats on moving forward with the Kaplan peeps! That's awesome!

And the story sounds good. Keep up the writing!

Anonymous said...

It was 101 here yesterday. Not that I minded. Today was 85 - a coldfront.

Congrats on Kaplan!

And yay for writing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and now I have to go look up Butch from Amazon.