Friday, June 20, 2008

Oh man, I'm good

Listening to: Looking Glass - Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)

I made the most delicious dinner tonight, and it was all frozen :D (I really did cheat by using frozen precooked brown rice, but it is TOO convenient); anyway, I had sort of a scampi thing going on.

Trader Joe's precooked frozen shrimp, sauteed with frozen French green beans in butter, garlic, and lemon juice, and served alongside the aforementioned brown rice. It took roughly 15 minutes to make, and it came out far better than I could've imagined. Only problem now is that I DEFINITELY need to go back to Trader Joe's for shrimp and lemon juice. I love it when I make a dinner that just "works."

Steve's in Colorado Springs right now, visiting his family (there was a mass exodus there: Steve's siblings - 2 of 3, anyway - and then Steve's parents, a couple years ago). His sister's 2-year-old son, Kevin, is obsessed with me. This is because when I visited with Steve in March, we took Kevin out on a walk. Throughout this walk, Steve periodically lifted Kevin over mailboxes, and I periodically flipped him upside down. He LOVED being upside down, and according to Steve, he insists that "on'y Julia, peez" can flip him correctly.

So, since I'm not there with Uncle Steve, Kevin wondered where I was. And today, Kevin was on his play phone for hours, attempting to call me. Finally, Steve just called me and handed kiddo the phone.

So cuuuuute. I've never figured out why little kids love me, but they do. All of Steve's little nephews love me, and it makes me so so happy.

3 comments:

Tummy said...

Sneaking in here while everyone is still snoozing.

That sounds yummy Julia. And easy! I love easy. Especially when you are only cooking for yourself.

Kids like those that like them and you obviously do :)

Paul said...

I love shopping at Trader Joe's, but the closest one is in Gaithersburg and TJ management has reportedly said it will not open a store in Fredneck, not now, not ever, never. But we'll have no such problem in Reno.

You and LC have the same effect on kidlets. Kids usually want to ram into me, such as my cow-orker's boy did yesterday. He didn't get me below the belt . . . too much.

Also, my niece once gave me a bloody nose by headbutting me off my lap. But I still love her anyway.

kim (weltek) said...

Sigh. This makes me feel guilty that I'm not better at "playing" with kids. Such a sweet, sweet story. Kids' love is a precious thing.

I need to go to TJs more often, but it's in a hard part of town to get to and parking is horrid. They built is as a "neighborhood" store, which is fine, but kind of leaves the rest of us TJs groupies out.