Sunday, June 29, 2008

Oh, Yahoo Answers... you kill me.

Listening to: John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane (::clap clap::)

Hi-ho.

I have been spending an inordinate amount of time, of late, on Yahoo Answers, providing guidance re: all things tattoos to anyone who asks. It's a hobby, I guess, but I will happily admit that sometimes, I just go there to see who can say the most ridiculous things. There are a lot of very young people out there, somewhere in their mid-teens, who already have tattoos, are begging mom and dad to let them get tattoos, or are going under cover of night to have an unlicensed artist give them diseases... I mean, give them a quality tattoo.

I am in no position to judge the tattooed population, but I do find certain topics uproariously funny.

Appx 90% of the "questions" asked in the tattoo section are along the lines of "Help me find meaningful tattoo ideas, k thanx?!!!1one!"

::sigh:: Because asking a bunch of mysterious strangers with keyboards will magically help you pinpoint your personality based on things like "I lyk lovve and I luv my famuhlie and I wannt dragunz!" How can you help that? A magical tribal butterfly dragon holding a family in his talons?

I came across this gem not long ago:

I want to get a tattoo , not anytime soon though , and i wanted some ideas . I want something unique and colorful or interesting . I'm Irish , a Virgo , love the designs of Ed Hardy , Chanel , Volcom and those kinds of things . I also love Egyptian culture . I want something meaningful , I would love a tattoo of a quote too . thanks (:

At least they were kind enough to give me plenty of options. I posted the following response.

You want something "meaningful," yet you've given us about 10 ideas to work with. If you were to place them all together, you'd end up with a shamrock-crowned virgin goddess, wearing designer sunglasses, who is skateboarding on top of a pyramid, with a banner that says "Love kills slowly".

Narrow it down a little, please, otherwise we have no chance of figuring out what is "meaningful" to you.

Was I cruel?

Nahhh... these are permanent, kiddies.

9 comments:

MM said...

*snort*! I loved your answer. I saw a kid today who is 15 and his mother let him get two tattoos, one on each arm (inside of his forearms). I think a family memeber did them for him. One says "Christ" and the other says, "MOB". I didn't get to see either too well as he seemd a little embarrassed. I was so dismayed that this kid got these so young and that he was probably letting someone "practice" on him. *sigh*

And what does MOB mean? My dad said it meant Money Over Bithces...ever heard of that?

Syren said...

I have been playing around on yahoo answers too. Haven't seen the tattoo questions yet though.

Some people ask some really stupid questions though, that I think have to be jokes just trying to get a response.

Julia said...

MM: I have NO idea what MOB means. Heh. Christ-MOB. Mafias-for-Jesus!

Syren: There are definitely some fakes floating around in the tattoo section - The other day, it was some "kid" who was 13 and "lovvved Britney Sppeearz" who claimed to want Britney tattooed on her lower back.

Yeah, right.

kim (weltek) said...

LOL! I also love Yahoo Answers, both for the function and for the laughs.

Buggy said...

I need to check out the yahoo answers thingie, sounds amusing.

I let my kid get a blue streak down the side of her hair. Not the same thing? Okay.

Tummy said...

Hmmm, I my loves are my family, horses, painting, reading, camping/float trips and Almond Joys. What do you think I should get? *snicker, no not the candy bar

Lasann said...

I want a tattoo. I'm a peach in my fifties. I want it to still look good in 20 years. Where shoud I get it?

I just wanted to tell you that I stop by quite often. I don't always comment though.

Julia said...

Lasann -

You want a guaranteed no-sag option?

Either calf or back - anywhere on the back, really - the skin stays pretty firm back there. It's where the vast majority of mine lurk, and while granted, I'm nearly a whopping 24 years old, there's been no distortion to speak of back there - and it's automatically of of the sun most of the time, so you have less of a chance of exposing it to Tattoo Killer #1.

I'd be happy to help you with this stuff - anything you need to know, etc.

Puffy said...

Funny!