Thursday, July 17, 2008

What a coincidence!

Listening to: Um...

Um...

This is one of the best discoveries I have come upon in a while. As it turns out, this discovery was already noted by like a million other people. But at least I know now.

Robbie Dupree's 1980 classic "Steal Away" is the exact same fucking song as the Doobie Brothers 1978 hit "What a Fool Believes".

Steal away indeed! McDonald and Loggins wrote a hell of awesome song - easily one of the smoothest and cleanest rock-lite songs ever, and Robbie Dupree straight up bastardized it.

And you know what? I actually don't hate him for it. If I was a singer, I'd probably want to rip off "What a Fool Believes", too. It's a great song, easily in my personal top 5.

You be the judges, folks.

Doobie Brothers - "What a Fool Believes"

Robbie Dupree - "Steal Away"

4 comments:

Tummy said...

I remember that issue, seems there was another one going on at the same time, but I don't remember what two songs.

Hope you're having a good week Julia.

Paul said...

I agree. See also Jefferson Starship's "Jane" and Aldo Nova's "Fantasy."

You know, however, that I profoundly disagree with you about the role of Michael McDonald in the Doobie Brothers. In fact, during the years that he was with them, the band shouldn't even have been called the Doobie Brothers; it was more like Steely Dan lite with some pop thrown in that Becker and Fagen would never have touched.

I know, blasphemy. :-)

Julia said...

If it weren't for McDonald, the Doobies would have disappeared off the face of the earth.

They didn't COMPLETELY lose their sound - ever hear "Wheels of Fortune"?

Respect the smooth, bro.

Silvergirl said...

Yes they are so alike.

I recently heard Kylie Cyrus singing on one of the morning shows, and I thought, "Gee, that song sounds so familiar."

I really liked it, though. It's called "Fly on the Wall", and it sounds so much like B52's "Rock Lobster" I think it's a rip off.